So I had made it past the first week.
At the start of week 2, we’re all to print out and share our images. It is important to have the image printed out on paper, as the images are very different when back-lit by computer screens. I learned the silly way, that there are two sides to matte photography paper, and if you use the wrong side, your images will look like shit!
We received criticism and edited our images to select star items that would be deemed worthy to appear in the future student show. Through this process, I learned that a lot of my images I focus a lot on detail, whereas the images are just as (or if not, moreso) powerful if shot in a wider angle. I’ve been moving closer in on subjects and miss out on telling a story with my images instead of showing the whole picture. The print above on the left was one of the images that was narrowed down to the final edit.
After criticism, we started with week 2 lessons on light balances, and using the manual options available via the camera (instead of using auto-balance all the time). So this also involved going over the temperature scale and the temperature of light during different parts of the day, understanding different light sources (tungsten, fluorescence, candlelight, etc..) and how to use different light sources and temperature to create moods in your images.
For our assignment, we were to shoot our local community again, as well as environments with varied light sources at different times of the day using suitable balance modes.
Using light to create moods in a film sequence:
Shooting the community at different times of the day:
Am welcome to hear any additional feedback – hit me up in my comments!